Tuesday, April 09, 2019

2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Predictions, Round 1

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Bruins vs. Maple Leafs
My prediction: Bruins in 6
RESULT: BRUINS IN 7
Post-Series Thoughts: This one sure went the distance, and the Leafs really pushed hard. But Boston won out in the end. I expect them to get through the next round too.
Pre-Series Thoughts: The Leafs' aggressive attack won't be enough to overcome Boston's solidity in almost every other area. The Leafs might steal a game or two, but I wouldn't be surprised if not.

Lightning vs. Blue Jackets
My prediction: Lightning in 4
RESULT: BLUE JACKETS IN 4
Post-Series Thoughts: Wow. I did not remotely see this coming. The Jackets showed up and the Lightning really didn't. These looked like different teams than during the season. Great job by the Jackets, taking down the regular season's best team, seemingly effortlessly.
Pre-Series Thoughts: I just don't think the Jackets will be able to solve the Lightning at all. They are too relatively weak in too many areas, and the Lightning are the league's best team, IMO.

Capitals vs. Hurricanes
My prediction: Capitals in 6
RESULT: HURRICANES IN 7
Post-Series Thoughts: The Hurricanes showed that they can play with anyone. I figured this would be a close matchup and it was. How amazing is Justin Williams? And the Canes just dominated the overtime periods and deserved to take this one. Incredible win.
Pre-Series Thoughts: This is really a much closer match-up than it seems. The Hurricanes are strong. But I think the defending champion Caps will prove stronger.

Penguins vs. Islanders
My prediction: Penguins in 7
RESULT: ISLANDERS IN 4
Post-Series Thoughts: I've never been more excited to be wrong. The Isles really showed up in this series and took it to the Penguins every game. I don't think they'll make it past round 2, but stranger things have happened (like the Blue Jackets beating the best team in the league in 4 games. Or this same series, lol).
Pre-Series Thoughts: I really don't think this Penguins club is as strong as they've been any of the last several years. The Islanders are the only team in the East that I think they can beat this year. I still think the Islanders will make this a long series.

WESTERN CONFERENCE
Jets vs. Blues
My prediction: Blues in 6
RESULT: BLUES IN 6
Post-Series Thoughts: The Blues showed up just like I thought they would. They aren't the most exciting team to watch, but they are consistent. Good job.
Pre-Series Thoughts: The Jets on paper should take this series. But they have tanked lately and I just think the Blues will turn in an overall better performance.

Predators vs. Stars
My prediction: Predators in 7
RESULT: STARS IN 6
Post-Series Thoughts: Simmonds continued in his limited-minutes role, which severely hurt the Preds. No, he's not the same player he once was. But yes, he is that much of a difference maker in the playoffs. Kudos to the Stars, too, for bringing their A-game.
Pre-Series Thoughts: Both of these teams have stumbled in different ways. But I think if the Preds give Simmonds playing time, he will be a difference maker. He steps up in the playoffs. There's also the Stars' lack of scoring consistency. I think the Stars will make it a long series, but I think the Preds will take it.

Sharks vs. Golden Knights
My prediction: Knights in 6
RESULT: SHARKS IN 7
Post-Series Thoughts: The Sharks really showed up when it counted, especially in their come-from-behind win in game 7. Yes, the major call on Cody Eakin was laughably bad and quite possibly turned the tide of that game. But the Sharks still came back and won. Kudos for getting it done when it counts.
Pre-Series Thoughts: This is a hard matchup. The Sharks are a fantastic team, but their goaltending is suspect. The Knights are a fantastic team, but their special teams are suspect. I just think the Knights will find a way to win with their depth.

Flames vs. Avalanche
My prediction: Flames in 5
RESULT: AVALANCHE IN 5
Post-Series Thoughts: Well the "streaks of brilliance" Avs showed up and the Flames barely showed up at all. Great job by the Avs taking this series in a relatively easy fashion.
Pre-Series Thoughts: The Flames are just a better team. The Avs have shown streaks of brilliance, but have also been wildly inconsistent. Flames shouldn't have much trouble here.