Thursday, May 24, 2018

2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs Predictions, Finals

FINALS
Golden Knights vs. Capitals
My prediction: Knights in 6
RESULT: Capitals in 5
Post-Series Thoughts: I've never been so glad to be wrong. I pulled for the Knights, but the Caps just showed up when it counted. They got phenomenal play from their goaltender, and Ovechkin just wanted this Cup more than anyone. He set the pace for his team, and while Kuznetsov played out of his mind, I think Ovechkin is the MVP of this year's playoffs, hands down (EDIT: this was written before the announcement of the Conn Smythe winner). Congratulations, Capitals!
Pre-Series Thoughts: I just have to go with the Knights. Their story is one of the coolest in sports not just this year, but for many years. As much as I'd love to finally see the Caps win the cup, it's hard not to root for the Knights. Not only that, but I genuinely think they are the stronger team. They're deeper and more consistent. I think Ovechkin could really step up, and if Holtby plays out of his mind like he did for a couple of games in the Conference Finals, this might go the distance. But I see the Knights taking this one.